Tuesday, November 13, 2018

Cloud Witness option is disabled in Failover Cluster

I had my SQL Server Cluster AG up and running and using the local File Witness Sharing, but later on I decided to move witness to the Azure cloud as I need to expand my cluster to a DR Site.
When I try to change the cluster quorum setting to I got this
There is no indication why, nothing in the windows event log, or cluster log.
I tried to use Powershell to change the setting using the command in the following URL

Set-ClusterQuorum -CloudWitness -AccountName -AccessKey
But I got the following error message

Set-ClusterQuorum : The current cluster functional level does not support cloud witness. Please update your cluster
nodes to Windows Server 2016.
At line:1 char:1
+ Set-ClusterQuorum -CloudWitness -AccountName -AccessKey 

In Windows 2016, its possible to have multiple OS in the same cluster like Windows 2012 and 2016, this will force the cluster to operate in a lower function level for the compatibility reasons.
To address this issue we need to raise the Cluster Function Level using the following command 
Update-ClusterFunctionalLevel and press enter
after running this command and confirm the changes to the function level, I was able to configure the cloud witness via the GUI :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Simply want to say your article is as astounding.
The clearness to your put up is just nice and i can suppose you are an expert
on this subject. Well along with your permission let me to snatch your feed
to stay updated with coming near near post. Thanks 1,000,000 and
please continue the gratifying work.